UIF South Africa Chapter 3 Claiming benefits: Part B: Unemployment benefits
17. Application for unemployment benefits
(1) Application for unemployment benefits must be made in the prescribed form at an employment office.
(2) The application must be made within six months of the termination of the contract of employment, but the Commissioner may accept an application made after the six- month time limit has expired on just cause shown.
(3) The claims officer must investigate the application and, if necessary, request further information regarding the applicant’s continued unemployment.
(4) If the application complies with the provisions of this Chapter, the claims officer must—
(a) approve the application;
(i) the amount of benefits for purposes of section 13(3);
(ii) the benefits the applicant is entitled to in terms of section 13(4);
(c) authorise the payment of the benefits; and
(d) stipulate when the applicant must report to the employment office for purposes of confirming that the contributor—
(i) has been unemployed for the period in respect of which the unemployment benefit has been claimed; and
(ii) is capable of and available for work.
(5) If the application does not comply with the provisions of this Chapter, the claims officer must advise the applicant in writing that the application is defective and of the reasons why it is defective.