How does Training in South Africa Help in Organisations
The following tips will help you to develop your organisation as a learning organisation
- Do you continuously test and challenge the way your organisation does things?
- Are you increasing the capacity of the organisation to respond to change and developing current knowledge and skills sufficiently?
- Is the learning relevant to your organisation’s business?
- Is new knowledge accessible and do, staff know where to look for it?
Encourage employees to reflect on their work practice and their regular day-to-day actions within the originations. It helps people to avoid unthinking and uncritical routines that will hamper performance in the organsation. By reflecting on experiences and current knowledge, people will begin to develop ‘tailor made’ solutions to problems rather than repeating old and less successful patterns of behaviour. It can be done in number of different ways
- Read – as much as you can around your subject area
- Think – take a thoughtful approach to your work
- Feel – understand your emotional responses
- Watch – be sensitive to what is happening around you
- Talk – to others about aspects of your work
- Ask – other people about their practice
Consider using the concept of an ‘Angel Advocate’ to enhance participation of this process. When a creative idea is proposed the person who speaks next must take the role of an Angel’s Advocate and offer support for that person’s idea. This protects or insulates innovative thinking against immediate criticism. The “fragile idea” has a better chance of survival for further exploration if the first thoughts of the idea are positive and voiced as such.
In learning organisations managers recognise the need to role model behaviours that will encourage people to be open, receptive and responsive to learning and new experiences. This requires the following behaviours from the managers and team leaders:
- Build trust
- Accentuate the positive
- Praise progress
- When mistakes occur, redirect the behaviour and reinforce with praise
- Provide appropriate timely support