Advancing Impact and Status of HR
Application of the new social science to social events
A crucial constraining factor in applying the new tools is all topics had to be discussed within the framework enabled by prior issues and topics, for example, human performance in an organization could not be discussed with prior insight into a general theory of psychology, and causality. This was operation of the principle of first things had to be done first.
All social causality is via the individual mind . Any group wide phenomenon that appears to have group wide impact is merely a ‘shotgun’ scatter effort into the group with take up via some percentage of individual minds in the group .
Application of the new social science to human psychology
The general theory of psychology was derived by applying the tool for theory creation to system ‘person in their environment’ .
The human brain is a physical device driven by the tendency to seek the lowest level energy states available to it. This tendency is referred to as ‘entropy’ .
The brain is the mechanism of mind, and the mind experiences the consequences of the brain, such experience of thought driven by the brain is not causal in conduct, but the person may think it is. This is the phenomenon of habit generating thought, and for the person to think such thought causal in their conduct, but it is not, it is consequential of the brain and the tendency of the brain to follow the lowest level energy path. Low level energy paths in the brain are referred to psychologically as habit .
Part of mind called ‘attention’ can intervene into the brain to cause neural states to occur that if the brain is left to its own internal mechanisms would not otherwise occur. I refer to this as conscious choice or free will.
Human conduct is understood as a consequence of the resolution of the tension between entropy and free will .
Free will is only exercised by active application of attention to intervene in our brains to achieve neural flows that otherwise will not occur, hence the exercise of freewill requires energy and it is only by the application of that energy can we thwart entropy. I summarize this proposition in the comment: Only consciousness can make water go up hill.
Finally, due variability and flexibility of the brain in relation to the mind, specifically in relation to the ideas of mind, it is only the individual who can intervene in their own mind … this is a general and fundamental principle that totally precludes for example, some form of ray or device that can access and selectively alter a persons brain/mind.
Applying the new social science to organisation design
The system analyzed is a ‘person in the organization’ .
The new social science with the theories of cause, psychology, knowledge is then used as the base for the question: what exactly is the relation between organization strategy and staff behavior ?
The OPD theory of organisation design and leadership
The OPD theory has three key features .
1. The goal cascade from strategy to the KPIs in each role . If all KPIs achieved, the strategy is achieved.
2. Apply the causal link between goals and actions needed to achieve the goals called ideal actions. Ideal actions are driven by the goal and are independent of people .
3. Then link the mind of the person assigned a role to the ideal actions needed in the role such that the ideal actions are delivered with increased effectiveness.
OPD-SHRM is the name applied to the set of human resource management processes that enable greatest chance of greatest organisational success.
Arising from theory
Leadership judgment is determining:
• An apt strategy for the business.
• The team/role structure.
• Delegation of KPIs into every role.
• The set of ideal actions needed in every role if the KPIs in that role are to be achieved.
• Goal action: Ideal actions are those actions derived from every goal agreed needed if the goal is to be achieved. The goal (ideal) action principle is causal, that is given similar external circumstances, and given apt judgment of the ideal actions, then if the ideal actions are delivered with greater effectiveness then goal achievement will increase.
Leadership effectiveness is the extent the leadership succeeds in guiding every person to deliver the agreed ideal actions in the role assigned them . Successful leadership effectiveness achieves alignment of actual staff behavior with the ideal actions agreed as needed for success.
The practical psychological principles implicated in leadership effectiveness are as follows.
• Reality of mind: Only a person has access to their mind.
• Clarity in mind: To get it clear in mind it is best made clear on paper first.
• Choice: A person is able to intervene in their mind to achieve improved delivery of the ideal actions agreed in the role if and only if they choose to.
• Professionalism : The active effort by the person to cooperate with their manager to develop the professional frame of mind and minimize disruption to their professional frame of mind and so enable greatest delivery of the ideal action agreed as those needed for greatest success.
Definition of strategic HR management (SHRM): Within the OPD theory SHRM is intrinsic to HR, and is the activity of aligning actual staff behavior with the ideal actions agreed as needed for success. Within the OPD theory the process of aligning actual staff behavior with agreed ideal actions is the fundamental process of roll out of strategy. The set of HR processes to achieve the roll out is called OPD-SHRM.
Summary: OPD-SHRM = strategic roll out.